[Survey] Curious [Survey]

gltrap54May 15, 2014

This is my fourth year of propagating annuals & veggies & it has taken me this long to learn the basics........ I've been a life long gardener, but I never dabbled in propagation until I retired & had the time to pursue it...... I'm a slow study by nature & without the help of kind folks like Dave & many others, I'd still be at square one........

That said, I'm curious to know how long other GW members have been propagating & how long did it take for you to become somewhat proficient?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

i HAVE BEEN PROPAGATING FOR MY OWN PLEASURE ana AS A COMMERCIAL PROPAGATOR OR 50 YEARS.
my INITIAL TEACHER WAS MY GRANDFATHER & i NOW HAVE MASTER OF SCIENCE IN HORTICULTURE

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 5:28PM
gltrap54

Wow! Talk about a wealth of knowledge! I have no formal training, only hands on experience coupled with GW wisdom.......

Still don't know how my ancestors gardened without the help of the internet or never having had a soil test! LOL

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 5:17PM
terrene(5b MA)

I've been growing from seed since the mid-80's. I've started seeds under lights, in flats or cups outside, via direct sowing, and my favorite method which is winter-sowing.

One of the easiest ways is scattering seed here and there in the garden, or letting plants self-sow. Nature does the work for you that way!

After almost 30 years, I'm starting to feel a little proficient...

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Squash and Cucumber - Started Too Early
I started some plants indoors under a t5 grow light...
PollenClouds
Potting up seedlings ?
I have started my seeds in 'organic seed starting mix'...
youngdb
What size cell to pot up?
Hello, longtime lurker here. I am growing vegetables...
shire38
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™