Bush honeysuckle

gardeningannie(06)April 28, 2014

Not sure I have the right forum:
Need to remove a large bush honeysuckle. I've cut it down to a stump which is beginning to resprout. I really don't want to use Roundup and would rather dig it out.

Does anyone know about the root system on a BH? Am I in for a lot of work or, like the branches, is it just 'a snap'?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

just start digging.. you will find out

ken

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:18PM
gardeningannie(06)

Hmmm ~ sounds ominous. Either you don't know or you don't want to scare me off by speaking the truth. :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 6:56PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

He doesn't know.

One of my most common weeds is an invasive type of bush honeysuckle. Either Amur or Tatarian. I don't know, and I'm not even sure if there is a difference. With moist soil, it is possible to pull up fairly large specimens because the roots are quite shallow. Whether this is true of other types of bush honeysuckles, I have no idea.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:20PM
may_flowers

I had a maple that resprouted for a few years. I put about two feet of compost and clippings on it and that took care of it.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 4:50PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I've had success putting a heavy duty black plastic bag over a stump and weighting it down with rocks.. After several years, they give up.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 6:23AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Sometimes it takes a conglomeration of mechanical means to convince something to die. Chopping into a stump is an excellent 1st step!

I might try smothering too, maybe sit a black pot upside-down on it, cover drain holes with something. Check often to remove any attempted growth until it gives up. Killed a boxwood that way.

I might use an axe to split the stump, hack at it to expose the inside as much as possible, then slowly dump the biggest pot of boiling water you can safely handle. Have you had someone big, strong kick it really hard? Might knock it loose. Know anyone with a hitch on the back of a truck? Yank it out. Knocking loose/yanking/digging works best when the ground is moist and soft, probably not necessary to mention at this time, I think most places have had a ton of rain lately.

Are sure there's no buried utilities in that immediate area? If you're at ALL unsure, call "call before you dig." Then it's *their* fault if something gets messed up when you dig. If not, it's your responsibility (financially.)

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 10:29AM
ptwonline

Bush Honeysuckle has a relatively shallow root system. But it has a tendency to regrow from leftover bits of root so clear it out the best you can.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 3:25PM
ptwonline

Bush Honeysuckle has a relatively shallow root system. But it has a tendency to regrow from leftover bits of root so clear it out the best you can.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™