removing lily leaves

flora2b(z6a bc)August 27, 2010

Just wondering what all you creative folks do to remove your dead and dying foliage.....besides taking a dip.

Was wondering about those mechanical reaching hands.....would they tolerate the water on them?

Right now I use a toilet bowl brush attached to a long stick....really only removes the more decaying plant parts.

What do you use?

Thanks,

Flora2b

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancym1956

At some pet stores, you should be able to find a device with a blade on one end, a trigger on the other, and is long enough to reach into the pond. I can't remember the name of it, but it works great.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:59AM
hardin(7 SE OK)

So far, I just take a dip. When the weather and water cool, I will turn 'smurf-colored' doing it, unless I find another solution like you. I will start surfing and see what I can find out for us.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:11PM
johnkr(z5 PA)

I had a device with cutting blades. It worked great at cutting dead plant leaves off of the live plant, but was not so good at picking the cut off parts out of the water. The device lasted several years before it rusted and stopped working.

This year I came across a grabber device at Harbor Freight. It's all plastic and the two grabbing parts are strong enough to crush stems. Its easy to pull dead parts from the plant and remove them from the water. So far I'm very pleased with it. The HF grabber cost $3 vs $28 for a "pond pruner".

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™