Put pots in frig--older seed

sujiwan_gwMay 10, 2012

Last week, I decided to sow all my older seed packets of perennials from 2007 to 2009. THese are seeds like yellow foxglove, NE and NY Asters, Erigeron, etc. Would I have better germination of these older seeds if I stuck them in my frig for x amount of time or should I just leave them as is, under lights. I'm not seeing a bit of activity from the foxgloves so far (surface sowed).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

I have never heard of anyone putting already sowed seeds into cold storage. Cold and wet is likely to just rot them - isnt it?

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 7:39AM
calistoga_al

If your seed variety requires stratification for a specified length of time, and you have the refrigerator space, sure you can do it. However if you have old dead seed it will not bring them back to life. Al

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:06AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Mandolls - check 'stratify'. It's the practice of putting moist seeds into a cold environment to break dormancy, and a requirement for many things although not usually for the seeds mentioned above.

I don't know if it would kick start sujiwans older seeds though - always a chance and it doesn't hurt anything but a little refrigerator space occupied to try.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Why did my morning glory seeds grow so much in just 3 days!?!?
I planted some heavenly blue morning glory seeds on...
tlbean2004
Growing Golden Chalice Vine, From Seeds.
well i manage to get my Sensitive plant seeds to sprout,...
aveo5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™