goldfish losing color!!!

agap015August 2, 2008

Hi

One of my 2 year old goldfish is turning white. It is about 6" long. It is now about 80% white. This started about 1 week ago. Is something wrong with it? It seems healthy and the other 8 fish of the same age are showing no signs of this change. Is there a dietary vitamin that it is lacking. They eat only the algae that is in the pond + some ocassional koi food.

Thanks

George

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
horton(6 b Ontario.)

George, goldfish can change colour all through their lives.
Turning white is quite common and normal.
"Horton"

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 6:34AM
horton(6 b Ontario.)

George, remember this post on the subject of goldfish colour changing?
"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Colour changes in goldfish.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 6:45AM
ernie_m

I had one 26 cent feeder goldfish bought from PetSmart as a test fish who started off all black, but then developed beautiful orange flashed down either side. The orange and black alternate making his quite striking looking. He's one of my rescue fish I keep as I never planned what I'd do with my test fish if they lived (so now I have mostly comets).

I had to change his name from "Blackie" to "Darth Maul."

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 11:25AM
agap015

Hi

Thanks to all for the info! Especially you Horton. I remembered that I posed the question that you linked, but it had to do with color change from dark to gold. In your answer then was the fact that they can go from gold to white or other colors. I forgot that tidbit of info. I was just worried that "Big Daddy" as we call him was sick. I'll stop worrying now and just enjoy my 1600 gallon aquarium.

Thanks

George

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 4:26PM
tomkaren(z9 Citrus Co FL)

Arn't they interesting. One of my fish =Black-> Gold -> White -> now White with Gold spots.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 4:41PM
comettose(7)

In 1997 I bought 'Goldie' for my son. Goldie is now still called Goldey but Whitey would be more appropriate. Oh, and she is a he. I like white goldfish.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 4:47PM
frogman4_gw(6)

I would like a yellow goldfish but from what I gather reading the the link above there is no guarantee that it will stay yellow, correct? Does the color changing slow down as they age?

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 10:42PM
tomkaren(z9 Citrus Co FL)

Most of my "Gold" fish are still gold and seem to be staying that way. However nothing is definate.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 9:43AM
rosemaryriley(7 NC)

One of my comet babies from last summer started fading this spring. I immediately thought fatal disease, before reading about color changes. This forum is so helpful. The youngster is now a beautiful yellow, almost like a butterfly koi.

Rosemary

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 12:28PM
capehart_ashley_yahoo_com

I have 5 gold fish in a 20 gallon tank there about 1-3 inches a peice... they are all turning WHITE... i can see the orange pigment under their scales but even my black, orange, red one is starting to turn white how do i get there color back? There water levels are all good and i keep the tank circlating and i have a light i turn on for about 8-12 hours a day... they swim around and seem fine and i'm feeding them goldfish pellets

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™