Cranberry Cotoneaster Brown Leaves?

farmboy1(5)April 7, 2014

So lst November, I had the chance to give a new home to a large mature Cranberry Cotoneaster. It has already been dug up the day before and had a significant root ball. I planted it, filled in around it with dirt and mulched it, and then watered it. Two days later we got a nice bit of snow, and well, winter was here to stay. At times it was completely covered with snow, and -20 degree temps more than once.

Now that the snow has finally all melted and spring temps are coming around, almost all the leaves are brown. Most of the branches are pretty springy, and the leaves are not falling apart.

I have a Holly bush that the leaves went all brown on, but the stems are still green, and many other conifers and evergreen shrubs nearby have yellow or brown foilage,

I'm wondering if the CC should be expected to green up a bit with warmer weather or if it is toast, pun intended.

Thanks,

vince

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I hadn't heard of 'Cranberry' Cotoneaster, so I looked it up. It is Cotoneaster apiculatus and is listed as very hardy but it is a deciduous shrub. The fact that your plant is still covered in its last years dead leaves looks a bit worrying. I am imagining that it might have died shortly after transplanting and therefore never went through its proper end of year leaf drop resulting in the mummified foliage remaining all winter. If you break off a twig does it bend or snap? If you scratch the bark is it green or brown?

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 5:02PM
farmboy1(5)

Thanks! The twigs do bend rather than break easily, and there is some green in some of them. So it may not be dead, but getting there.... What had me wondering is all the other plants, as I mentioned, that also have some or all brown foliage.

vince

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 5:12PM
wannabegardnr(7 Maryland)

It probably didn't get time to shed it leaves before it froze. Wait another month, it's still too early.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 5:15PM
Sequoiadendron4(6B)

I have a cranberry cotoneaster and it always loses its leaves in the fall. I would definitely wait to see if it greens up. Mine is just starting to get leaf buds. If yours does make it, expect the rabbits to ravage it over next winter. They love to eat mine. Quite a beautiful shrub though.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:34PM
farmboy1(5)

Well, it was nice out yesterday, and I started snipping some branches to see how much green I could find. Before long I was getting out the loppers. And then I was cutting everything off and finding very little actual green. So it all got chopped up and is now on the burn pile.

I don't feel bad, there wasn't very much life left in it.

But thanks for all the very interesting replies. Rabbits will not be happy....

vince

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 4:49PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

So last November, I had the chance to give a new home to a large mature Cranberry Cotoneaster.

==>>> hitch it to the bumper and drag it home???

massive.. massive LEAF damage due east of you 200 odd miles .. conifers.. shrubs... everything evergreen ...

the future is all in the buds ... i would say 99% of the buds on my damaged plants look just fine... study yours ..

flexible branches is good ...

give it at least 30 days.. for soil to warm.. and spring growth to trigger.. then we will know if its viable ...

keep us posted..

ken

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 5:25PM
farmboy1(5)

Sadly, too late now. No buds. Cut up and on the burn pile. Many branches dried out and brown, with little green left. Other trees and shrubs have green in them....

Yes, a lot of browning on "evergreen" leaves here too.

Was it really that cold?!?

vince

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
Coppicing Red Twig Dogwood Best Method?
Do you cut all of your red twig dogwood stems down...
jackbe1
Will nandina firepower old leaves constantly change color with season?
I want to plant some of these firepower shrubs. I know...
tlbean2004
Shot hole disease- Can my laurels be saved?
I recently purchased a new home with Otto Luyken cherry...
hafamily5
shrub cover to overwinter hydrangeas in zone 5?
anyone use Nue Vue shrub covers filled with leaves...
jager1
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
Sponsored Products
Brown & Teal Elliot Rug
$34.99 | zulily
Zebra Throw Pillow - Chocolate Brown
$42.99 | Dot & Bo
Heracleum the Big O LED Chandelier by Moooi
$13,674.28 | Lumens
Safavieh Handmade Majesty Light Brown/ Beige Wool Rug (6' Square)
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rug Boutique Rugs Scrollwork
Home Depot
Hillsdale Cameron 5 Piece Rectangle Dining Room Set w/ Parsons Chair
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™