Black Beauty Elder

yawineyApril 3, 2013

Is this elder a candidate for a container? I have either a sunny deck location that could fit a large container or a partial shade spot that is hidden. I have heard all elders grow too vigourous for containers but the black lace and black beauty are supposed to stay smaller. Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Malone Zone 9b

In my experience they are all so vigorous that they would outgrow or break the pot in no time...'smaller' is a relative term!

Sara

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 3:54PM
yawiney

Thank you. There will be about 4 ft of space between the lace and the beauty if i put it in the ground. I guess i'll just do alot of pruning as they grow.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:30PM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

I train some up as multi-trunked trees, leave others pretty much alone and coppice some. They are another of the 'you can run them over with the lawn mower and they will not die' shrubs. They root so easily that sometimes I just start new ones and toss the old woody, messy ones. Well, 'toss' is the wrong word - usually we hook a chain around it and pull it out with the tractor!

Sara

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:10PM
yawiney

Cool. Thanks. Sounds like they will work perfect in the spot i have in mind. I may have to mow over suckers coming out too far in the future.
I think I"ll leave the Lace alone with more space to bush out and prune the beauty to go upwards since the Lace will get the sun first and shade the lower part of the Beauty.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
weeping pussy willow
i have a weeping pussy willow that is 4 feet tall and...
kansaswheat
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™