How far back can I cut a Carissa Holly?

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7April 24, 2012

I have a low hedge in front of my porch of these and would like to reestablish them as a smaller shrub/hedge. Could I cut these back to bare stumps and have them re-sprout? Or would it kill them?

Someday I will remove them but that's a long way out.

How long will it take for them to resprout? 3 months?

I know they will look ugly for a long time. That's ok.

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

apparently no one knows

this post has been sitting here w/o response for over a week..

you watch.. now there will be some... whats that all about

ken

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 3:01PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Hehe, well, I certainly don't know! It's too late in the season now to really do that as it has gotten into the nineties this past week. I will cut them back severely in the winter, if I can without killing them and hopefully will have an answer by then.

We had our septic tank drained this past week and I had a huge back hoe here digging it up and, Yipee! digging holes, trenches and moving big plants for me. So the carissa holly hedge is on the back burner while I get many new beds finished before the extreme heat.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 6:53PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

The answer to your question is yes, they can be pruned back to a stump and should be just fine. If they are healthy to start with, they will regrow quickly (it's likely you'd be pruning again within a few months). It's also not too late to prune them back now, if you want to. The only time I would try to avoid would be late-summer/early-fall.

Ken, maybe everyone is like me and working from sun up until sun down. I haven't been responding to many posts lately because I barely have time to sleep any more.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 10:10PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I do really appreciate you answering my question, Brandon. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!!

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:23AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'll add that you will be much more satisfied with the appearance of your 'new' plant if you cut it all the way back to a VERY short stump....like around 6 inches. The new growth will be full and shrubby. I'd avoid fertilizing it for this first season, if you were planning on it.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 11:35AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

they can be pruned back to a stump and should be just fine.

==>> I USUALLY SUM THIS SYSTEM UP BY SAYING.. YOU CAN.. WAIT FOR IT.. run it over with the truck.. lol ..

ken

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 8:07PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Thank you Rhizo and Ken. My mil has some Buford hollies pruned that way and because she is elderly, keeps them in that grotesque, unnatural form. She is afraid of them getting big again!
But the ability to cut them back to 6" and have them live/thrive, yes, that is the info I so needed.

I have several knockouts in front of the hedge, (spaced out not another hedge), so I will wait until next winter to do a total reno of both.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Can I shorten a 10-15 yr old Nellie Stevens Holly?
Just wondering if Nellie Stevens can withstand having...
hafamily5
Coppicing Red Twig Dogwood Best Method?
Do you cut all of your red twig dogwood stems down...
jackbe1
Pruning Young Loropetalum
I planted a 5 gallon last summer, and it is starting...
misterleadfoot_z9
Haskap
Aka, honeyberry, aka blue-fruited honeysuckle, aka...
wisconsitom
Want to make a VERY small boxwood hedge/garden border
Really love the very small boxwood hedge/borders that...
towsonite
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™