Planting corn

tanner27May 21, 2014

So not thinking I bought 4 varieties of corn, luscious, bantam, rainbow flint and Tom Thumb. I have a big garden, do I plant a square of each in opposite corners?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bragu_DSM 5

they are still going to cross pollinate to some extent. knowing that, it probably doesn't matter. unless you care. you could try to stagger, but time to harvest is probably what, 100 days?

YMMV in your zone. call the extension service and ask them ...

dave

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldmobie Z6, SW MO(Zone 6)

I've been reading that pollen determines the type of corn produced. I would try to avoid having flint corn pollinate sweet corn, as it would likely be harder and less sweet. There are also finer points like the gene(s) responsible for the sweetness of your particular corn. Two common ones being se and su. Bottom line: change pollen source, likely change the taste. Sweet corn, pollinated by a different sweet corn, is still sweet corn. It could be more or less sweet, though. I'd plant the sweet corns together, but I'm not too picky, and like to experiment.

Will you be saving any of the seed you produce? If so, know that your crop next year is likely to be very different if you grow them together. And variable. I don't care about purity, but most gardeners do, so you'll need to decide how you feel about it.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™