Don Juan Rose Bush

jrdelaneyFebruary 13, 2013

Hello all!

Question: I have a Don Juan rose bush that is planted in an indirect sunlight spot, so it never gets full light. The problem is my yard faces only north, so I'm really limited where it can go. Will this cause the rose bush to die off eventually or just cause it not to bloom as much as it normally would?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

Roses need at least 6 hours of sun to bloom at their best, so my best guess would be that this rose wouldn't bloom like you would like. Can you move it to the other side of the house?

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 12:09AM
Tuggy3(9b NorCal)

I lived in Dallas for 25 years and my experience was that roses did not do well in indirect light even though it's very hot there. I ended up with a lot more black spot and leggy low blooming plants in those areas of my yard. I did better with morning sun and dappled sun in the afternoon. I grow Don Juan in a hot area of California and it does well with at least a half day sun. Also my experience with it is that it needs a couple of years to really get going and bloom a lot. Mary

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 12:59AM
jrdelaney

My backyard is small/our pet dog haven, and there really isn't a great spot for it. It's fenced in, so the only real place would be up against our back concrete patio, but not really ideal as it doesn't offer much room.

If I were to put a lamp on it for a few hours a day, would that supplement for the lack of direct sunlight?

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:21AM
farmerduck

How close is your Don Juan to your wall or a big window? I have a hybrid tea that was planted by the previous owners that only gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight. The thing is very healthy (8 feet tall, putting up brand new basals each year for the past two years) and blooms its head off from May to November.

My "theory" is that it gets all the light it needs from reflected light.

With a climber, you never know until further along the process. I would say give it another year or two, and no need to fret just yet. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:57AM
amberroses(10a)

I had a Don Juan planted against the north wall of my house. It did very well for about 9 years and just last month it started to decline and I removed it. I may get another.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 12:32PM
jrdelaney

It's near our front door, so it doesn't even get any type of sunlight, other than indirect I assume. I bought a grow bulb to try if I notice it not growing as much as I like. We will see though! I did just plant it yesterday.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 5:43PM
amberroses(10a)

Don't bother with the light. There's no way you're realistically going to go outside and turn a light on it every day for years. I know I wouldn't anyway.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
NEVER plant a wisteria and kill it when it starts growing!
Our local electric co-op just came out and took down...
particentral
Does anyone grow First Prize own-root?
I have seen a huge First Prize plant but don't know...
erasmus_gw
Posy Parade!
My garden is in full spring bloom so my kitchen table...
SoFL Rose z10
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Sponsored Products
Bella Oil-Rubbed Bronze Blown Glass One-Light LED Mini Pendant
$217.80 | Bellacor
Eastern Jungle Gym Steering Wheel - CW
$25.99 | Hayneedle
GARDENA Comfort Vario Short Head Pruners - 8788
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Bella Oil-Rubbed Bronze 5.28-Inch One-Light LED Mini Pendant
$217.80 | Bellacor
Hinkley Lighting | Monaco 5 Light Chandelier
$759.00 | YLighting