Grow a maple tree seed

wil_1890June 3, 2012

Hello, i have been funds some seed of maple tree and i would like to plant them but i don't know how ( they are dry ) and i opened some, some had a green thing in the seed and other were black.

I would like to have help about this i really want to plant a tree !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. Maple seeds sprout easily, you shouldn't have trouble getting some seedlings. If you look around your yard, there are probably already seedlings you could dig up if you wanted.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 9:40AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Wil, we don't know exactly what climate you are in, or which maple - not all will have the same requirement for germination.

In general, most - but not all - maples need an extended period of moist chill (winter, or simulating winter) before they will germinate.

If you don't know which maple, a good guess would be to sow them when first ripe so that they are exposed to the same conditions they would receive from mother nature self sown from the tree. And for many maple, sowing now would mean germination/seedlings in late winter or Spring next season.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 12:08PM
wil_1890

Thank you, but the seed i have funds they are of the last year because they are like dry and not green like if they were just dropped.

but if i plant some seed of the last year did you think it will work ? And in what do i need to plant them in dirt who i buyed in a shop ?

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 6:32PM
wil_1890

Can someone answer me please ??

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 6:58PM

What about all of the seeds the maples are dropping this year? What kind of maple?

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 10:03AM
wil_1890

i dont know exactly what is the kind but its a thing like that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmanuel-lattes/4404212773/

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:36PM

your link.

Yep, that's a maple seed, sometimes called a key. If somebody can ID the type by looking at the seed, I hope they come by this discussion. I can't.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:15AM
Cricket_Love(4b)

Maple seeds do not need a cold period before sprouting. We have sugar maples, silver maples, and a few other in our yard and our neighbors yard. Every single year, not even a week after the seeds fall, they start sprouting and we have to pull them by the hundreds out of our gardens. Stick it in some dirt, water it, and forget about it. it WILL grow!And fast at that! We have 8 trees that we have let go and in 3 years time, most are 15 feet tall.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 7:44PM
wil_1890

thanks for the information but did they fall on the ground in the spring or they fall before the winter and start to grow a little under the snow ??

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Help with germination!
Hello all! I have a question! I started some of my...
countryladies14
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
What size cell to pot up?
Hello, longtime lurker here. I am growing vegetables...
shire38
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™