Berberis thunbergii 'Helmond Pillar' seeds

scarletdaisies(6)April 1, 2010

I'm hoping to find someone who has seeds from a Helmond Pillar Barberry bush. Here's what it looks like:

They fruit a lot, so their will be berries on it if it's got a male tree to pollinate it. The bushes are not expensive, but I want to cover a large area and was hoping to try seeds first.

Does anyone know where I might get seeds or do you have this pillar barberry in your yard? If you have the gold variety, that will be fine. It looks like this, but I think I like the reddish one better, color is not important.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Barberries have perfect flowers - they contain both male and female sexual parts - so no such thing as a male plant :-) Any plant can - and usually does - produce berries. And seeds of named cultivars will not necessarily come true to form. It is quite possible that viable germinated seed of 'Helmond Pillar' will develop into a typically rounded, rather than erect, shrub and may not even produce very red foliage. Propagation is typically done from cuttings.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 7:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scarletdaisies(6)

Thanks! I guess I'll be looking for that perfect hedge elsewhere. Do you know of a perfect fence hedge that does not grow over 6 feet and is thin about a foot thick that can be planted close together?

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™