Growing From Seed

SklotusJune 13, 2014

Hello, my name is Soto and I am somewhat new to the whole gardening scene. I would like some advice on growing some plants from seed.

Ok so, i have received some supposed Yoshino Cherry Flowering seeds along with Mammoth Russian Sunflower seeds, Acer Rubrum seeds, and finally some Blue Wisteria seeds.

If anyone has any info on stratification/germination methods, any growing tips or any advice in general would be greatly appreciated. I was looking to turn a few of these into bonsai trees but i would like to focus on getting these babies started.

Additionally, i would like to get these seeds planted ASAP.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Sunflower - direct sow about a week after last frost, placing seed about 1" deep.

Acer rubrum , sow at once upon ripening, or soak, then sow approx 9 weeks at 39F (stratify, a period of moist cold), then move stratified seeds to 70F for germination

Wisteria from seed can take more than 10 years to bloom if you were wanting a blooming bonsai, seed grown wisteria is typically used only in grafting for root stock. Sow about 3/4" deep at 65-70F, should germinate in 30-60 days.

Prunus x yedoensis (Yoshino Cherry):
2 - 3 months cold stratification and is best sown as soon as it is ripe. Sow in a cold frame as early in the year as possible. The seed can be slow, sometimes taking multiple cycles of fluctuating temperatures, 18 months to germinate.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 12:34PM
Sklotus

Ok so what method should i use to stratify/germinate?
Is there any way to speed up the stratification/ germination period for the Punus x yedoensis?

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 3:05PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

This time of year, I would sow the seed, wrap the pot with saran wrap and secure with a rubber band or put the pot in a zip lock bag, and put it in the refrigerator. If space is at a premium, you can put the seed in a small amount of sterile moist sand or sterile moist vermiculite, just a couple of teaspoons is often enough, in a small zip lock and refrigerate that. Later in the year, I would put the pots outside rather than refrigerate, my winters will often average to about 40F.

And no, there is not a good way to shorten the period needed to stratify. If the periods provided that are needed to break dormancy are too brief, you may have to begin again and lose time.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
planting fresh seeds
hi everyone, i have a question regarding fresh seeds,...
irameez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™