shrubs we can propagate now from branches, cuttings, etc

mary4b(4b WI)April 27, 2009

I was just noticing that my Hakuro Nishiki needs a hair cut, I forgot to cobble it this winter. I think I will cut a few of the naughty branches off and root them. It occurred to me...what other shrubs can be propagated by stem or root cuttings, or layering (I think that's the one where you pin a sprout down in the ground until it roots...)

Here are some that I have on my property which I would be curious if I could do the layering or stem cutting right now:

Red Twig Dogwood Elegantissima

Diablo Ninebark

Snowball Viburnum

Annabelle Hydrangea (This one I'm pretty postive can be done.)

Limelight Hydrangea?

Tardiva Hydrangea?

Bridalwreath Spirea

It would be cool to creat a list and see how many babies we could make this spring! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendyB(5A/MA)

Defintely dogwoods. One time I had some YEAR OLD red stem cuttings for decoration hanging around in my garage. I put them in a container for an accent. Before long they leafed out!!

ANd, I was just pruning my dogwood 'Ivory Halo' today. I didn't want to put the clippings in the passive compost pile because of that tendency to so easily root. So I stuck them in a large pot on the patio as a filler. I am curious to see how they do.

Spirea and forsythia easily layer. I pull up little plants all the time and give them to friends.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:01PM
mary4b(4b WI)

Thanks Wendy!

I found this wonderful link...a nursery professional shows how to achieve soft stem cuttings at home. Very easy, very nice instructions...no cost! Also, there's a great list on which shrubs one can do...looks like most of mine are on the list.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagating shrubs from softwood cuttings

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 12:58AM
treefarmer(z5IN)

I also have a Dappled Willow that I just planted about a week ago. I've already taken cuttings from it. Looks like it's going to be a fast growing monster in my garden! I love how the pinkish leaves almost look like flowers.

I took tip cuttings from several bushes including my 'Rosy Glow' japanese barberry. You have a lot of varieties I'm looking for in cuttings and/or plantlets and would love to pull a trade if your interested. I'm trying to build up my landscape a little.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 9:13AM
reyesuela(z7a)

Winter jasmine--any branches that touch the ground root!!!

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 4:02AM
More Discussions
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™