Growing Black Oil Sunflowers

HypochondriacJune 13, 2014

I'm trying to grow black oil sunflowers. I need some help. Completely new to growing.

I placed seeds in peat pellets. Placed a few under the dome of the box they came in. Placed another in a ziplock bag near a heating source. The one in the ziplock has germinated. Picture attached.

Now what do i do? several sites suggest different things. Some state i should keep it in the bag until it grows more, others suggest add potting soil to the bag and place the pellet in that. one also mentioned placing it in the garden as is.

Rather then use fertilizer can i use coffee grounds in the soil?

This post was edited by Hypochondriac on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 9:16

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cold_weather_is_evil(9)

If I were back there (Branford) I'd have the seeds directly in the ground now. If weather was getting in the way of all that I'd germinate in the peat pellets. If weather was STILL in the way I'd put the pellets in cups with dirt once the roots started to get aggressive as the peat has no real nutritive value.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 2:05PM
Hypochondriac

Thanks, so your advice is to place the seeds and the pellet in the soil? Do I completely cover the pellet and germinated seed? Or should I leave the green part that's sprouting exposed?

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 5:51PM
cold_weather_is_evil(9)

Wait for leaves and don't bury them. Sunflowers tend to be leggy but only bury the (pellets and) roots.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
Need Advice........
I sowed flats of New Guinea Imps & Begonias 3 weeks...
gltrap54
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™