victim of damping off

JenamocrrJune 4, 2013

It appears that my bulls blood beet sprouts are becoming victims of "damping off", in my containers. Not all have succumbed yet, are the rest doomed to die? If they do all end up dying off, can I plant something else in that container?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

Hi, Dr. Allison Jack, soil scientist, did research in this area. It is known that some compost will block damping off, and vermicompost is very consistent in this. I use locally available leaf compost, or commercial garden centre worm casting enriched compost, and I use 15% compost in my growing mix, which supplies beneficial bacteria, that inhibit damping off, and I add in plenty of ground bark to make the mixture very porous, and prevents it from getting too wet, and composted Christmas trees, which is available locally free of charge, 20% peat moss, plus lime. I find this mix gives me zero problems with damping off. You can reuse the container, if you use compost mixed in, or sterilize the container and reuse with normal potting mix. Also, do not let the seedlings get too wet - should be just moist only.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™