Wisteria Seedlings in Al's Gritty Mix

dave6802(5)June 14, 2013

I have two young seedlings that I have planted in Al's gritty mix - one Wisteria Sinensis and one W. Sinensis Alba. They are outside and have been very slow to get started. They currently have 3 -4 sets of leaves but seem to have stalled. They are in clay pots and I have just added a clay tray underneath to keep the moisture level a little higher. My question is will they thrive in the standard 1-1-1 gritty mix or should I add 15% peat to the mix to increase moisture retention.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

You are will want to transplant the seed to a soil mix close to your garden soil...
Reamber wisteria from seed will take about 5 years to flower...

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 5:55PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Do you intend to grow these in pots long-term, or are they intended to go in the ground at some point?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 5:50PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I fail to see any reason why you cannot grow them in the gritty mix. I would water more often, not look for more retentive mix, which would negate the reason for using the gritty mix. Use a weak fertilizer such as half a teaspoon per gallon of Foliage Pro every time you water. In gritty mix it is easy to underwater, but almost impossible to over water. Al

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:23AM
dave6802(5)

Thanks all for the comments. Here is a quick update.

I am planning to grow these as bonsai. I started from seeds and now have one each Wisteria Sinensis and W. Sinensis Alba growing. I know it will be years before they bloom, but think how exciting that day will be!

So - I have added a saucer under both to create some perched water. I read this suggestion at a bonsai forum and thought I would try it. It seems to be working, both seedlings are now growing well again. From what I have read they do not like to have dry feet, so this approach seemed to work best for me. I want to keep most of my bonsai in the basic 1-1-1 gritty mix as it works very well for my others. The only exceptions are my 3 giant sequoia trees. I planted them in the 1-1-1 mix with 15% peat moss by volume and no lime - they are growing exceptionally well.

As for the foliage pro, I shoot for 50 ppm nitrogen - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon is about 59 ppm and seems to be working well.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
When to start eggplant seeds
Johnny's says 8-10 weeks like the peppers. I remember...
Peter (6b SE NY)
growing peas
I can't seem to get a successful crop of peas.............any...
quiltsrcool
Need Help Starting Seedlings
Hi!! My name is Sunny. :) I joined your forum just...
sunnygirl55
Should I pot up or go straight to garden?
Do I need to pot up my seedlings? I have a pretty successful...
minuet_7a
Bunny Tail grass seedling
I start Bunny Tail grass indoor. I put them near windowsill....
chipeony
Sponsored Products
Choo Choo Train Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
WA 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Art Motif Sage/Gold 2 ft. 6
$70.00 | Home Depot
Esia Oiled Bronze and Glass Swingarm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Quoizel Jonas Tiffany-Style Table Lamp
Lamps Plus