Question About "Granular Fertilizers"

alameda/zone 8February 21, 2014

It is getting time to start thinking about early spring fertilizing for established bushes. I am doing some reading about different methods, and the term "granular fertilizer" keeps coming up. I know this is an elementary question, but I am not sure what is meant by a granular fertilizer. Could you experts please explain and give some named examples of said fertilizers? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nikthegreek(9b/10a E of Athens)

Any dry fertilizer that is manufactured to be in the form of small grains, balls, pellets or clusters is called a granular fertilizer to contrast with ungranulated ones which come in the form of dust or crystal powder. Granular fertilizers are usually designed to be slower dissolving and may incorporate other technologies (such as coating) to this effect. They are often designed to allow for superficial delivery rather than incorporation into the soil and they are more amenable to mechanized delivery. They are usually chemically or mechanically compound fertilizers rather than single chemical ingredient ones.

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 0:10

    Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 12:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

"Lawn" fertilizers are "granular", you'll see these in large bags in the stores (check out the lawn fertilizer section), also some of the "balanced" fertilizers (such as 10-10-10).

    Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 10:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Dry fertilizers are like Osmocote and Rose Tone etc. Any thing that is spread on the surface of the soil, or sometimes worked into the top of the soil, and not mixed into a water solution before application is a granular fertilizer. There are dozens of different ones.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alameda/zone 8

OK I get it! Things like Mills Magic Rose Mix, Rose Tone, triple 13 - anything dry. I was thinking that organics like Mills, Rose Tone were different from "granular". Thanks for clarifying!

    Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

I wouldn't myself apply the term to organic fertilizers or plastic-coated fertilizers. I agree with Diane that it means things like Turf Builder or generic 10-10-10 -- manufactured fertilizers, usually readily soluble, although some have part of their nitrogen treated for slower release. They can also be single-ingredient fertilizers like calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate, muriate of potash etc.

    Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 2:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Is it ok to ask for recommendations? I am looking for something that includes micro-nutrients. Sorry if this is considered as "hijacking"..

    Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 1:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecily(7 VA)

Hi Eden, rosey questions are always welcome! A good granular rose fertilizer with micronutrients that is widely available on the east coast is Espoma Rose Tone. I can purchase it at Lowe's I'm not sure about organic granular rose fertilizers available on the west coast. Try to avoid combination products that include fertilizer, pesticide and fungicide - they don't work well and they're very toxic to pets & wildlife.

    Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 6:45PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
Best Place to Order Rose?
Here in Southern Ca, I've not been able to find some...
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
When a seller has the wrong picture, etc.
One rather large plant catalog with lots of pictures...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™