Water lilies and skimmers

coxy(6)August 14, 2010

We are building a lily pond that is large enough to warrant a skimmer. We intend that the water will just flow in as opposed to falling in to keep things as still as possible but I was wondering if the lilies will get sucked into the skimmer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jalal(z3/Canada)

A skimmer is intended to pull the surface dust, leaves, dead algae etc into it. It will also draw any floating plants like hyacinth and duck weed. While lily leaves may not go into the skimmer itself any stuff floating on the top of the pond will jam up against the lily leaves so the skimmer is no longer skimming. I've placed my lilies in my pond so that the current from the waterfall to the skimmer is not impeded by lily pads. I'm not sure if lily leaves in the way would cause a problem with the skimmer clogging--if my pond is too full the pump still draws water from the skimmer but draws no surface leaves, litter etc. I'm more concerned that the lily may impede the flow (like a dam) and the skimmer will not have enough water in it causing problems for my pump and also restrict the circulation of the pond.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 12:36AM
hardin(7 SE OK)

I haven't had any trouble with that problem. My skimmer is on one end of the pond, with the waterfall on the opposite side. I have my lily planted in a large but shallow pot, and it is setting on the bottom of the pond closest to the skimmer because the water is very still there.

Here is a picture to give you an idea.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 3:35PM
coxy(6)

OK, I see, but Jalal made a good point about the pads creating a damming effect and restricting the water flow into the skimmer. No problems there? I guess I could try to keep them more toward the sides.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 4:15PM
hardin(7 SE OK)

I haven't had any problems as far as a damming effect. Water will just flow through, around and under the leaves.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 7:57PM
jordan_californicus

Worst case scenario, you have to rake a few dead leaves and such from between the lily leaves towards the skimmer.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™