How to Stratify Hardy Kiwi Seeds?

plantlover13(5)June 27, 2013

Hello.I recently bought some hardy kiwi seeds. I know they need stratification, so how do i do it? i have taken the packet, stuck it in a sealed ziplock bag to keep out the moisture, and stuck that in my refrigerator. Will this do? also, can i overcome the need for stratification with GA3?

Thanks much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Do you know which actinidia? A. arguta appears to respond well to 3 months cold stratification while A. kolomikta may germinate better if given a warm moist period of a few weeks before the chill, then chilled, and finally brought back to warm.

In any case, placing the seed packet in the refrigerator doesn't do it, that's only storage - cool and dry is how you would want to preserve seeds, opposite of promoting germination. The cold/chill must be moist, you don't want to prevent moisture from breaching the seed coat. Put the seeds with a tsp or two of moist sterile sand, or moist sterile vermiculite in a zip lock, date it, and put that into your refrigerator. (harder seeds you would soak first, then place in the damp medium) When the suggested time is up, sow the contents of baggie, sand/vermiculite and all, no need to extract the seeds.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:46PM
plantlover13(5)

would GA3 get rid of the need for stratification? i like shortcuts :)

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:55PM
art33(6)

Hi plantlover,

Well, I've never tried growing Kiwi but I doubt that using GA3 would really help. In the past I've tried using GA3 on different seeds, and frankly I didn't see much difference in the germination times.

However, there is a pretty good web page (see link below) that may be helpful to you. What ever you try, I wish you the best of luck!

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Kiwi from seed.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:23AM
plantlover13(5)

whoa, i don't even need stratification?

But wait, that's a different kiwi ?

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:14AM
art33(6)

Oh, sorry, I missed the fact that you were trying to grow the hardy kiwi. The hardy type may need stratification. Hopefully someone who has grown them from seed will come along and offer more help.

Art

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:11PM
TxGreenthumb88

Does anyone know how long dried kiwi seeds will stay viable at room temperature?

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™