Is there an easy way to collect a large patch of seed?

marti8aJune 6, 2013

I usually just snip each head off, but I have a large patch of Indian blanket that I'd like not to go to seed in that same place. It's too tall to mow with a grass catcher mower. Any other way to collect all the seed without spending hours cutting off heads?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mauch1(z6b PA)

If you have a sickle (grass hook) it would be faster than gathering one at a time -- but it is still quite a bit of work.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 3:26PM
marti8a

But then the seed heads would fall to the ground and I want to collect the seed, not only to prevent reseeding there, but to put it in another area.

I use a hedge clipper when I'm just dead heading and don't care where the seed goes.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 9:47PM
alisonoz_gw

If there is sufficient distance between these plants and others, you'd need to lay down sheeting to collect the seed. Try to make it curve up a little at the outer edges to act like an umbrella- a few rocks or whatever. You can use any material you like depending on weather and circumstances - newspaper, old sheeting, plastic tablecloths or dropcloths. But if plastic of course it WILL hold water if it rains, you'd need to collect seed more frequently. This is probably a better way if you intend to cut all the plants down - you'll catch falling seed and stop it reaching the ground. The rest of the plants can be put somewhere warm and airy for any remaining seed to shed.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 2:36AM
More Discussions
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Why did my morning glory seeds grow so much in just 3 days!?!?
I planted some heavenly blue morning glory seeds on...
tlbean2004
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™