how to grow fame acanthus, and texas star hibiscus

lakedallasmary(8 - North Central TX)June 5, 2007

I direct sowed Texas star hibiscus last fall. They did not come up. I sowed them in pots in the house they did not come up. Please help me figure out what this seeds wants. Don't say winter sow. I tried that with various kinds of seeds (herbs and tomatillos mostly) none came up. Actually a few did, but on a warm winter day, they cooked in the stupid pop bottle green house. I guess winter sow is not a great idea in texas! (my opinion so don't jump all over me)

When should these seeds be direct sown, and how much water does the seed need to germinate?

I planted the flame acanthus in the pots too, none came up. I also direct sowed one in the rain garden (a few weeks ago?). Not up yet. help!

could be all this rain making the seed either not come up or rot.

Mary in north texas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albertar(z7 LINY)

Mary
I'm in NY and have Texas star hibiscus growing here for the last few years. Take a few seeds, soak them over night, and plant the seeds less than 1/4 inch into a pot or cell pack. If they don't germinate in a few weeks, that could mean the seeds are old. If they do germinate, keep them potted up til early fall, then plant in the ground, mulch well over the winter, removing mulch in the late spring. They will be one of the last hardy hibscus to come up in the spring. Hope that helps.
Alberta

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 1:29PM
misty9093(7)

I have found that putting the seeds in a bowl and adding BOILING water to it then let it sit for a few days untouched everyone of the seeds will spout, I usally pot them until I think they are ready for outside.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 7:27PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

utexas.edu - Anisacanthus wrightii Flame Acanthus

"By seed. Sow stratified seed 1/2 - 1/3" deep in Spring, or direct sow in Fall."

Alberta, seems to need a moist cold period before it will germinate

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™