When to plant my avocado seed?

leuconoeJune 16, 2014

I've been growing an avocado seed in a glass of water for months now (I'm in Newfoundland, Canada, so growing outside isn't an option for this one and light has been limited). I'm worried this guy is about to break in half, but I've read you should plant when the sprout is several inches high. The sprout is trying to fight his way up, and splitting the seed, and the root is longer than my finger now. I'm also a bit worried about the growth around the sprout that you can see in the picture. Should I plant it? Cover it all the way? I'm new at this. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nattydoll(7)

Is that the sprout or the root in the picture? I don't know what the growth is, but I think you could plant it with the sprout facing upwards and the seed partially buried, in a regular container.

There's lots of vids for this on youtube...

I haven't had luck getting the seeds to sprout in the past, and am trying again myself. Kudos to you for sticking it out with this one :)

As for the bumpy growth - that looks like pickle relish - how did you have the seed positioned? Was it completely under water or partially wet? I've also never seen such a yellowy green, er, avocado-colored seed like that! Curious.

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™