sturdy cell packs and flats

njitgradJune 22, 2013

I'm looking to purchase sturdier cell packs and flats for next season. I can't tell you how hard it is to move several unbalanced flimsy flats in and out of the house everyday during the hardening process.

Equally as challenging was when I had to transplant seedlings into 16 oz cups and tote those in and out of the house everyday.

Ideally I would like to be able to carry two flats at a time (one in each arm of course) and not have to worry about anything tipping over.

Any suggestions or DIY recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mori1(5b/6a)

That has been my problem in the past. I had trays that were held together by duct tape. However, my solution was local. Check the garden centers starting in January or Feb, that's when they start bring out the plant trays. I was able to get trays for my indoor and wintersowing (2 different type of trays) at price cheaper then the big box stores or walmart.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 11:31AM
njitgrad

I found these today. Anyone use them?

Here is a link that might be useful: quad thick trays

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:35PM
runswithscissors(MT 4/5)

I had that problem too. Finally I just ordered triple amount of flats from on-line supplier and tripled them up. The cost is more at first, but I am so happy I finally did that. 3 trays stacked together makes them sturdy enough that I can move them back and forth without worry. The sun does make them brittle, and after awhile cracks right in the middle started to form, but so far they are still holding up great.

I'm not nearly coordinated enough to maneuver two full trays at once without accidently dropping one!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Heating Mats
I am looking at purchasing a heating mat for the 2016...
weirdtrev
When to uncover seedlings?
I've successfully started seeds for years by bottom...
oldbuck
Will my morning glory's lose legginess if i put them outside?
I planted morning glory seeds inside on a window about...
tlbean2004
Trouble growing beets
Does anyone know why my beet seedlings will germinate...
mtgs
Potting up brassicas
I have broccoli and cabbage sown in small peat pot...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Sponsored Products
Two-panel Hardwood Pet Gate Extension - Mahogany Dog Gate
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Napa White Twin-size Bed
Overstock.com
Lemon Drop Bar Table
Euro Style Lighting
LaPalma | Otium Bench
YLiving.com
Robert Abbey Jackson Aged Brass Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cordelia Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Oak Harbor Polished Brass Lantern Outdoor Wa
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™