Help with sunflowers

hood4uJune 6, 2013

I am trying to grow some sunflowers along my fence line in my yard. I was going to do two different plantings so i could have extended bloom time later this summer but, either a squirrel or bunny had other ideas and ate every one of my first group. dug them right out of the ground.

i started them using the paper towel in the plastic bag technique and then into the ground. which seemed to work as the root began to grow but, i cant know for sure since they were gone within a couple of days.

anyway, this time i started them the same way but then i put them in the plastic trays my annuals came in with some soil and now i have 3-4 inch sunflowers growing. my question is when will they be big enough that i don't have to worry about them being eaten outside? I don't know when they are big enough that the animals won't be interested. Also, when i do plant them outside would it be bad to bury the stem a little for better support?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thinman(Z5 MI)

You can just seed the sunflower seeds directly in the ground and cover them with floating row cover. This has worked well for me to keep bugs, birds, rabbits, and deer from eating many of my sunflowers. The row cover can be left on until the plants get nearly a foot tall. At that point deer will still eat the leaves, but they seem to be safe from smaller critters. Something will occasionally get under the row cover and do some damage, but most of my plants make it.

ThinMan

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 7:45PM
LKZZ(7b)

Mine were eaten last year by deer. I put a fishing line fence around them to no avail.

This year they are inside the fenced vegetable garden and are growing strong - in fact providing shade where shade is not wanted. I am growing the Mammoth kind - 8 feet is the max height.

Interesting plants.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 9:51AM
mommomsgarden(6/Jersey Girl!)

Mine are actually growing awesome. I am very new to this and just sprinkled some seeds in a patch if soil back in April. Sunflowers have actually been the easiest for me!! Little maintenance.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 2:08AM
More Discussions
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™