Aronia berry not wanting to bud

LiveOak1234567890April 8, 2014

I have an aronia berry that I started last year. It grew quite well last year and dropped its leaves during the winter. Now that the weather has warmed up again, I'm concerned that the plant hasn't come out of dormancy. It's been in the 70's and 80's here for several weeks. Even my pecan tree is leafing out and it's notorious for being a late starter. Scratching the bark shows there's green underneath. I'm still new to raising aronias so I'm not sure what to expect. Is this normal behavior for them or is there a trick to get them started for the new year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

It was new last year, so leave it alone for now.

Knowing where you are, what type of aronia it is and how much shade its in would also help.

tj

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:17PM
LiveOak1234567890

I'm in San Antonio Texas. The aronia is the black variety (Aronia melanocarpa). It gets morning and noon time sun, afternoon shade.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 11:09PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Sometimes, for reasons no one knows, a woody plant never breaks dormancy. There's nothing you can do but wait.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 1:51PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I have an Aronia melanocarpa that took a long time to break dormancy its first spring, although mine was in a bit more shade. I understand your concern given where you are, but as mentioned, you can only wait. I've heard of a minimal thermoperiod for flowering with Aronia, but I'm not sure about breaking dormancy. Do you see them growing in your area?

tj

Edit: Dang those splitters and lumpers. I forgot they call these Photinia melanocarpa now.

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 16:15

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 4:10PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i have had transplants of various kinds .. after the first winter ... bud out months late ... who knows why ...

ken

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Protecting Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes from freeze
I'm in Raleigh NC and we're forecasted to get below...
northraleighguy
Hakuro Nishiki willow, planting near house?
Hi all, I live in Seattle and recently bought a house...
nr78
Haskap
Aka, honeyberry, aka blue-fruited honeysuckle, aka...
wisconsitom
Want to make a VERY small boxwood hedge/garden border
Really love the very small boxwood hedge/borders that...
towsonite
Pruning Young Loropetalum
I planted a 5 gallon last summer, and it is starting...
misterleadfoot_z9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™