is it too late to start Papaver outdoors in MD?

thirtylinesJune 6, 2014

Hello,
This is may first post on gardenweb. Great site with lots of great gardening info. Anyways, I wanted to plant some papaver seeds outdoors this spring, but got sidetracked by a hospital stay. When is too late to sow papaver in Maryland? Today is June 6. Is it too late now? Any info is gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Sow away. When I grew lots of poppies I would sow them every two weeks into July for maximum bloom time. For me they tended to germinate better in cooler weather.

SCG

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:37AM
gringo(z8 VA)

Being that I'm in Hampton Roads area, not all that far south of you, mine are in full flower right now. They are a cool season annual & as such, require they be sown in early autumn, or late winter, depending on the weather...

I also might add, that the previous post, appears to be from someone in zone 5 & I take it, growing them in Canada. Where summer there, is absolutely nothing like our hot steamy ones in mid-Atlantic region ... Therefore, as soon as they germinated in the heat we experience,( if they even did so) they would simply quickly die from it.
I usually sow them about 7 to 10 days prior to a full moon, in late September, up to about December & later again, (the next year) in late January if mild enough, or February, up to start of March & no later.
Otherwise, just be patient & wait until late September, at the soonest. (or earliest chance, to be successful.)

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:23PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

While I will agree that they germinate better in the cooler weather don't discount how warm our summers are. Our typical daytime temp in July is about 90F and not uncommon to be 100F, however we don't get the humidity you have. I remember a time when I was guiding fly fishing a couple of guys from Houston thought they would come to Canada to get out of the heat. It was 103F in Houston and 107F here lol.

I would sow them and see what happens. What do you have to lose? I did not sow poppies this year as I am having lots of sprouts from last years sowing :)

Good luck and get back to us on how they did for you.

SCG

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Need Help Starting Seedlings
Hi!! My name is Sunny. :) I joined your forum just...
sunnygirl55
Should I pot up or go straight to garden?
Do I need to pot up my seedlings? I have a pretty successful...
minuet_7a
Volunteer in my seedling tray?
Can anyone identify this seedling? I have one in both...
blg002
Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.
Okay, first of all, I live in a tropical country, the...
bpmontilla
growing peas
I can't seem to get a successful crop of peas.............any...
quiltsrcool
Sponsored Products
RST Sunbrella 23.5-inch Outdoor Chair Cushion
Overstock.com
Beige Four-Piece All-Weather Urbana Eclipse Sectional Set
$2,499.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Camellia Sage
$42.38 | Home Depot
Troy Lighting Verona Traditional Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Broan-Nutone Metro Arch 15W x 31.25H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet 52WH244P
$392.99 | Hayneedle
Wellington 11 1/4" High LED Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Copper Mountain Flushmount by Troy Lighting
$528.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Wall Sconce No. 9095/10922 by Kichler
$137.50 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™