Too late?

eclecticcottage(6b wny)June 13, 2012

I am wanting to start a new garden bed, but many of the plants I want I can only find as seed (it's a theme garden, where all the plants will have beach/lake/maritime names, like shell leaf beardtongue and perennial geranium "splish splash"). Is it too late in the season to start them now? I am also going to add some daylilies (like beach music), iris (like toy boat) and hosta (sooo many choices) but those will be already started so I'm not too worried about them. I can water them in and they will do fine. I'm just worried the seeds will be starting out too late to make it through winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Geranium pratense (like Splish Splash) - Geranium pratense, 64-71F, if no germination after 4 weeks, move 39F for 4-6 weeks, then move 41-53F for germination. They may not germinate well for you in hot weather.

Penstemon grandiflorus (like Shell Leaf) - Surface sow 8 weeks @ 40F is the typical suggestion, light may be beneficial to germination. Can you provide the cool temps this time of year (approx the same as your refrigerator, but as far as I can tell, there is no light on inside with the door closed :))

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™