how many zinnia seedlings in container?

indica_2010June 10, 2010

Hi everyone,

I am trying to grow zinnia in containers - how many seedlings do I eventually leave in containers and how many I need to transplant?

1)zinnia (thumbelina mix) - seed packet says plant ht 6" - I have 4 seedlings in 6"(diameter),5"ht container

2)pinwheel mix - packet mentions ht 12" -I have 4 seedlings in container - 7" diameter, 6"ht.

Is there any general rule for spacing seedlings in containers?

thanks for any suggestions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

1 each..... any more than that & will have to water several times a day
If adding more than one plant in a container place near edge of pot.... & equal distant....

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 7:13PM
indica_2010

thanks yiorges,

zinnia thumbelina - I have them equidistant on 4 edges of pot. wud it be ok if I leave two of them in that pot and transplant the other two?

and the pinwheel zinnia - they look close now in the 8"pot. Wud it be ok if I leave one in this pot and transplant the other three into a single 10" pot - like a triangle in edges of pot?

I also wanted to ask re - nasturtium spacing in 14" hanging basket. I have 2 baskets - one with 4 seedlings and other with 6 seedlings. it is nasturtium whirlybird mix, packet says ht-12". how many seedlings wud I have to thin out?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 10:09PM
JoyceLovesHerbs

I have long used GardenWeb, but this is my first time posting.

My mom always starts zinnias from seed in her greenhouse, but this year we just haven't had time to get the garden ready to put them in the ground. She gave me several seedlings that are leggy from not enough sun and they desperately need to be planted! I planted several in a spot that gets about 5 hours of morning light and afternoon shade. My question is: can I put one or two of these seedlings in containers that already have herbs (basil, sage, other sun loving herbs)? Will they be OK or will they have to compete too much for sunlight/root space?

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
planting fresh seeds
hi everyone, i have a question regarding fresh seeds,...
irameez
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Best watering plan?
Hello, I was wondering if you had any advice on the...
Tigger033
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™