Rose Cutting, Grafting, and Seeds

behlgarden(9)March 26, 2012

I am freaking out with growth that I am seeing out of my heavily pruned stocks. I see massive growth and buds everywhere and some have started to flower.

However, I also planted some cuttings and they are alive and well, 1 week into it and growth is continuing. Goal was to keep it moist and I planted them right into the ground.

I also grafted about a dozzen roses. I used Cleft grafts, and some are hanging on while some are confused, will see if these make it.

I had saved some seeds from last year and believe it or not I had them in refrigerator, in soaking bowl of water, on top of refrigerator, bla bla bla and its been 5 months, today I finally saw quite a few of the seeds sprouting. I also found volunteer seedlings in my planters and when I pulled them out carefully I saw the swelled up seed that was part of the root. This gave me confort that if I sow the seeds out now, it may be a sure bet.

I finally sowed some 24 seeds (that have been in moist/cold condition for 4 months), I sowed right into the ground where there is constant moist condition.

Lets see how all these go. I am sure I might get 50% success in grafting and seeding. I will follow-up in 30-days

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blendguy(Oxford, England)

All very interesting, good luck! I look forward to the update.

cheers,
robert

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 5:17AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Good start! Keep in mind that some cuttings can take months to root, and that new growth may come from stored energy, not from new roots. Good luck with your efforts and let us know how it goes. :)

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 8:22PM
behlgarden(9)

Hoovb, agreed, but at the same time you can tell which cuttings lost leaves and look dead compared to the ones that are thriving. One one cutting that is about a month old is now swelling buds

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Belmont Yellow and Schmidt's Smooth Yellow
Somewhere there was a thread on these two roses, but...
Kippy
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Does anyone grow First Prize own-root?
I have seen a huge First Prize plant but don't know...
erasmus_gw
Some of the funniest posts from the past.
Does anyone who's is good with computers know how to...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Beauty of Glazenwood
Starting to bloom. Tough to photograph. Picture taken...
deervssteve
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Flush Mounts Westport Collection Outdoor Black Flushmount
$71.46 | Home Depot
Light Rain Linear Suspension by George Kovacs
$418.00 | Lumens
Lakeview 1Lt Large Lantern Antique Bronze Cle
PLFixtures
Castle Ridge Exterior Wall Mount
$143.90 | Bellacor
King Blanket 108" x 90" - WASHED BLUE (KING)
$279.90 | Horchow
Morgan Hill 46" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™