Huacatay?

flora2(7)June 13, 2009

I was born and raised in Peru and would love to find seeds or plants of this herb so I can use it in my cooking. Does anyone know where I can find it? Thanks a lot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

It looks like huacatay is a common name, the latin name being tagetes minuta (from the marigold family). Of the seed vendors I use, Chiltern Seeds (UK but don't let that dissuade you) offers tagetes minuta....but closer herb suppliers may carry the seed too, I don't grow enough herbs to know them all :)

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 11:44AM
flora2(7)

Morz8: Thanks for the note. I did a quick search and even searched Chiltern seeds (looks very interesting--will go back to look more) but it appears the latin name encompases a lot of the marigols, how do I find out which one of the one? I think you are right --the foliage looks familiar but the flavor is very particular. How do I find out? Suggestions? Again, thanks for the note.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 6:06PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Various sites reading similar to this ""sometimes called Mexican marigold, Inca marigold or Peruvian black mint. It grows up to 2 metres tall and produces tiny white or pale yellow flowers (hence the name "minuta").

Native to South America, it was introduced to Europe during the Spanish conquests. Tagetes minuta is a popular companion plant in gardening because its roots produce a compound which keeps slugs, pests and weeds at bay.

In Peru, T.minuta is known as Huacatay and made into puree and seasoning that give local dishes a unique herbal flavour; said to taste like a mixture of mint, coriander and basil. ""

Chiltern-
Genus: Tagetes
Species: Minuta
Catalog Seed #1222D

Here is a link that might be useful: Tagetes minuta @ Chiltern

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 7:03PM
elladog(z10, SoCalif, Sunset 22)

Tagetes minuta seeds are available from http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.aspx?item_no=PS16089
or from http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=573
or http://companionplants.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=770

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds of Change

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 12:56AM
Frankymac

I just got back from Piura. bought some huacatay seeds along with Rocoto and Aji Limo. The company name is Alabama S.A. out of Callao Lima. This stuff is pretty easy to get nowadays.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 7:53PM
flora2(7)

Frankymac: I bought some huacatay seeds from Alabama Co a few years ago but not a single one germinated--people say it is fairly easy to grow so I took it kind of personally :)
I grew up in Piura as a child and I am very jealous of all your ajies, could you tell me if you have been able to germinate and grow Huacatay yourself?
Thanks a lot

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™