Germinating honeyberry (haskap) seeds

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)June 2, 2012

Hello all, I have 3 honeyberry shrubs that are now producing berries, and I'd like to propagate them via seed for wildlife plantings. They're a species of honeysuckle shrub, so I'm wondering if they simply require cold stratification like most other honeysuckle species, or if there's any additional steps the seeds require.

Also, how should I store the seeds over the summer until it's time for cold stratification this winter? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

First, I don't grow these, but U of Idaho suggests:

= " best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame. Stored seed requires 2 months cold stratification. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts.

Germination of freshly harvested seeds occurs 3-6 weeks after seeding and is generally good (50-90%), Stratification is not required if fresh. Seed viability remains good for about 1 year after harvest, but declines rapidly in succeeding years."

If you do chose to store for a few months and not sow immediately, cool and dry for storage. If you are in a humid warm climate, that site may be sealed in a container in your refrigerator after drying....just an envelope on my desk works for seeds for me, my house is on the dry side.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 2:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jplayland

Any seedlings yet? I wish my haskap had some berries. I want to seed a little on the woods edge and in clearings on my property. It would be a nice addition to all the wild raspberries.

How did you collect the seeds? Blender? Any extras you might sell/trade?

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
planting fresh seeds
hi everyone, i have a question regarding fresh seeds,...
irameez
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™