Thyulia Green Giants...

hikertooApril 3, 2010

Tell me it ain't so. Anyway, I've been planting these Green Giants, 10 2 footers and 3 4-5 footers. Little ones are no problem but the 3 bigger ones came in ~5 gal. pots almost the same size as the hole I had previously dug. I did make the holes a bit bigger but not by much as I was in a hurry. My concern is air pockets - I read about air pockets on-line.

I put them in the hole with maybe a 1/2 inch at most to spare. I did try to push in as much top soil as possible between the sides and the root bound ball, soaked nicely and stepped on gently to compress a tad, topped of with a 2-3 inch layer of cedar mulch and wet again and tamped down again. They're in nutrient rich clay soil.

Do/should I be concerned about air pockets? Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

did you unwind or cut circling roots ????

i figure you created a clay cauldron.. and the plants will have a hard time growing roots out the the cauldron .. and you are setting yourself up for failure .... in the long run.. air pockets will be the least of your worries ...

especially with the potting media most likely being mostly peat.. and that is totally divergent from your clay ...

in my estimate .... the holes should be at least twice as wide as the rootball.. and only as deep as the root ball.. and many peeps with clay actually plant in raised mounds ...

i would take the time to do the job properly.. WITH THESE CONIFERS .... planting PROPERLY is a little more important with trees and conifers.. than with shrubs ...

good luck
ken

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 8:59AM
gardengal48

Good info from Ken :-) And where are Brandon's excellent tree planting instructions?

Not to be picky but check your spelling on these Green Giants..........that's Thuja, not Thyulia.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 9:48AM
hikertoo

OK, I'll re-do them later this week. Thanks...

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 10:45AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

though he is awfully close phonetically about how it is actually pronounced... lol ..

ken

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 12:31PM
hikertoo

I replanted today. Raised mounds huh? How does that work? I guess the roots eventually work into the clay?

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™