Forsythia cutting for rooting: can do in fall after drop leaves?

wynswrld98(z7 WA)April 27, 2009

I want to take cuttings from my forsythia to propagate them on my 2 acre property. The problem is here in Seattle/Tacoma mother nature usually turns off the rain from now until fall and I don't want to worry about watering these new starts all summer -- believe me the ground quickly dries out to dust once the rain stops due to how porous the soil is, only deeply rooted shrubs/trees survive.

I wanted to see if this plan will work -- in fall when rain starts up (around the time forstyhia probably losing their leaves) take cuttings of my forsythia and stick them directly in the ground which should be watered by mother nature all fall/winter/spring to get them rooted to survive the dry summer of 2010. Does this plan sound like it will work?

If not, what times of year CAN cuttings be taken for rooting directly in ground?

Also, how long of a cutting should I take off each branch?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

You CAN and have a sorta decent rooting %age, but your better %age is with younger wood in the spring.

Why don't you try ground & air layering starting now (presuming the weather is typical and rain will likely occur until July 4), and check them in the fall, then take some cuttings and see what happens? Maybe use a gallon milk jug over the top to make it a little warmer in there. You'll want new wood only.

Dan

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 9:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

fill a one gal pot with media.. and put a dozen 12 inch cuttings in it.. and by june.. at least half will be rooted.. if not all ..

or just leave them in a vase ... and they will root ...

this is one of the 3 simplest plants to roots .. JUST do it ..

and if i am wrong.. you can do it again in fall ...

you could probably just stick them in the soil... and ignore them for the rest of the year.. and half would root..

ken

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™