blue point juniper a good choice

mikesin(z-6)April 6, 2010

Hello, We are in need of a little privacy/wind break for our front yard which is full sun. Our neighborhood has a fairly large deer population so deer "resistant" is a must, we understand NOTHING is deer proof. We like the idea of evergreens for year round privacy. We really like Canadian hemlocks however we are sure the deer would just eat them away to nothing. So searching around we found blue point junipers to be deer resistant - grows 10-15' tall and fairly disease resistant. anybody have experiences (good or bad) with these junipers?

Thanks much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I really don't have experience with 'Blue Point' but have had excellent results with 'Blue Arrow' here in SC KS. Stays narrow, seems to be (at this point) disease resistant to the normal blights, however, called a 'virginiana' is said to be succeptible to cedar-apple rust; I haven't seen it yet...probably will occur sometime.
Some plants planted four years ago at 6-7' height are now 8-9'+ and still very, very narrow (maybe 3-4'). If you are looking for a blue-ish juniper with narrow character you might look at this one. I'd plant them 3-1/2 to 4' apart with a 5 year window for solid screening.
hortster

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 9:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

might want to try the conifer forum for further suggestions

ken

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™