Pink Flowering Almond vs. White

northerngnomeApril 27, 2010

Hi all-

My first post. The pink flowering almond shrub is beautiful, but the white (Alba Plena) looks equally beautiful. Why is the white so hard to find? After extensive searching, it seems the few sources are wholesale. Anyone know of a retail source? Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in my world.. for what its worth ... one would have to have the pink almond .. which is then followed by the white spireas ...

anyway.. link below.. i think its what you are looking for

whatever makes you happy is fine with me ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 8:55AM
northerngnome

Thanks Ken. I tried the link but unfortunately they don't have Alba Plena. I am a big fan of the pink almond, but I saw the white one in person once, and could easily have gotten in a car accident because I couldn't take my eyes off of it :-)

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 7:17PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

perhaps the white one they offer is better than the old standard you are searching for .. why would they offer a lesser one???

if it were me.. i would call and discuss with them.. before i gave up ... with all the 800 numbers.. what do you have to lose????

ken

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:37AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Just my experience, but if you are going to plant one of these, put it somewhere where it won't be front & center for 11 months of the year. The flowers are lovely, but the plant tends to be bothered by insects and diseases and the overall growth pattern isn't particularly graceful. If you can plant it behind a late-emerging large perennial so that you can enjoy those early flowers from the almond, but then have something to distract from the somewhat ratty summer shrub, that would be ideal.

I'm afraid I haven't seen white flowering almonds. Good luck with your hunt!

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 6:52PM
northerngnome

Good idea Ken. Maybe I can talk them into getting me one..(the almond they sell is a single flowered tree). There's lots of places in England that sell them retail, they just don't ship to the U.S.

Thanks nhbabs. I must have been lucky, as my pink ones did very well, looked good, and had no bugs. I had them standing alone in full sun at my previous house.

I found a decent picture of one if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: White double flowering almond shrub

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™