Choosing a Viburnum - Whorled Class or Spring Bouquet

Rod942April 2, 2011

I am looking at planting a hedge with either Whorled Class Viburnum (Viburnum obovatum, 4-5 feet tall and wide) or

Spring Bouquet Viburnum (Viburnum tinus 4 to 6 feet tall and wide).

I am going to need to keep it more in the 4 foot wide range. Is either more tolerant of that type of pruning?

Is either more likely than the other to have aphid issues (I read some forum comments that suggested this)?

I already have a number of Viburnum Suspensum in the yard and they have thrived, although I haven't had much need to trim them back and have never had any aphid problems.

Thanks

Rod

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rod942

One additional question. My neighbors will have to walk between the hedge and their house. Are they going to have a significant bee problem when the plant blooms?

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Broadleaved evergreen shrubs tend to be quite amenable to pruning - a wide variety, including the viburnums, are often used as hedging material and so subject to routine pruning or shearing. Depending on when or how often this pruning takes place will have an effect on the flowering of the plant....excessive or frequent pruning tends to limit flowering and lessen the presence of bees. If flowers are present, bees and other pollinators will be as well.

I don't grow the obovatum but 'Spring Bouquet' is a very common shrub in my area and I've never seen an issue with aphids. Doesn't have the world's most pleasant fragrance (has been described like 'old sweat sox') when in bloom so that may be a factor to consider. FWIW, I believe the obovatum can grow quite a bit larger than the 4-5' so more pruning may be necessary on this selection than the smaller growing 'Spring Bouquet' (aka 'Compactum').

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™