how to grow dutchmans pipe from seed

willy46(b5)July 29, 2005

any one please help me out.tryed to grow Dutch mans pip vine.had no luck.can you tell how??any special treatments?

willy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Aristolochia macrophylla , Pipevine ,zone= 6 , sow in light @ 70ºF for slow germ.

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 4:46PM
inthegarden_k(z7 NC)

i started aristolochia fimbriata from collected seed and had 100% germination. i started it inside on a window sill in seed starting mix. kept it moist. its been outside in the shade (planted up to 4" pots) for a few weeks now and seems to be doing great!.

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 2:18PM
angie83(9)

Inthegarden k can you tell me how long it took for them to pop up .I have had really bad luck with these.I soak and plant and nothing.

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 1:13AM
fgilles02420(z6 MA)

I wintersowed Aristolochia tomentosa here in zone 5/6 which worked fine; haven't tried other methods, they may work as well.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 5:03PM
inthegarden_k(z7 NC)

sorry, i don't remember how long precisely, but it was certainly within 2-3 weeks, or i would have noted the long start time. maybe you seed is no good.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 2:56PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

I think the seed may be sort of short-lived. I'm trying again with some seed I got in the spring. Based on Deno recommendation to use light (i.e., don't cover seed) at 70 degrees, that's what I'm trying with all the rest of the seed.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 6:47PM
pennys2006

hi i soaked for 48 hours in hand hot water to start with then sow finely covering seeds place in a zip bag put in airing cupboard as i was told they need darkness to germinate aswell as warm, i was told they take any thing up to 3 months but to check every day after a week i used this methord and so far about 14 have germinated i only placed in cupbard about 9 days ago so i have picked out the germinated ones to put in light and left the tray in the cupboard,where do you live if it is with in posting distance i could post you a few,do email me through as i probably will forget to check in on this forum again Penny

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Grasses from seed
I'm getting ready to sow a variety of (native NA) grasses...
mpem15
Pinch or toss?
My sweet peas are leggy. Can I pinch them or should...
Loni Tabor
Potting up brassicas
I have broccoli and cabbage sown in small peat pot...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Germination time for Lily of the Valley started indoors
As a newbie, this is my first year starting plants...
SnowStorm
Bunny Tail grass seedling
I start Bunny Tail grass indoor. I put them near windowsill....
chipeony
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™