Peach seed-how to plant

sumacsistaJuly 1, 2006

Hi. #1 I've saved the seeds from some peaches we ate, and would like to plant them to grow my own peach trees. Should I just stick them in some potting soil, water and in the sun, or are there specifics.? The only problem is that they are peaches bought from GA. Do you think they probably wouldn't winter over here in Ohio once they get big enough to transplant outside one day?

#2 I have also saved watermelon seeds. Should I just save them in a ziplock bag til next year for planting, or what do you suggest? Thanks for all advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feldon30(N Houston (8))

If these are hybrids then you will have problems with the results. They won't resemble what you saved the seeds from. Seed saving is generally done if you grew a non-hybrid (open-pollenated) variety yourself.

Most peaches and other fruit trees are generally grown by grafting the desired variety onto a different tree which is less vulnerable to diseases and grows better in your climate. They grow one kind of tree, cut it off about 3 inches above the ground, and then grow a peach tree, cut off the roots, and graft the two together. You might have fantastic results with planting a peach pit, I don't know.

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 10:34AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Prunus persica (Peach tree) is only hardy to about zone 7, so not much chance outside in Ohio. I don't know about this species, but most Prunus require several months cold stratification, and often several months warm stratification first.

Your best bet is to sow now and leave the pot outside to expect germination in spring. Before you sow, clean the seed thoroughly, then soak overnight in fresh water to remove all traces of the pulp.

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 10:34AM
kayekirk_austin_rr_com

I live in central Texas and I have some fruit that I have eaten and saved the seed. I would like to know when to plant them. I have a peach,purple plum and a large apricot.
Thanks,
Kaye

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Should I pot up or go straight to garden?
Do I need to pot up my seedlings? I have a pretty successful...
minuet_7a
Help! Pro-mix BX and green algae
This is my first time to use Pro-mix BX. I kept hearing...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
preventing algae/moss
I have very small fans blowing gentle air across my...
njitgrad
Question about growing from seed in small greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
growing peas
I can't seem to get a successful crop of peas.............any...
quiltsrcool
Sponsored Products
English Boxwood Ball
$79.99 | zulily
Flower Power Plant Sensor
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
19-Piece Spring Ballotin - GOLD
$30.00 | Horchow
Montmartre Stacking Armchair - Set of 2 - Fermob
$520.00 | HORNE
Moooi | Heracleum the Big O Suspension Light
YLighting