marigolds

kayentaJuly 16, 2013

Hello,

I had wonderful, big bloom marigolds in my greenhouse last year (several varieties from commercial seeds)
I saved the seeds and replanted them. Very few have produced flowers. About 90% have grown very big, look really healthy and lush but there are NO blossoms...or even buds. I found 2 or 3 that had small, stunted buds...less than a fourth the size that they should be. Do you think they cross-pollinated and are adversely affected? I thought cross-pollination might occur the SECOND year of seed saving...?
Any solutions?
Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

They were probably hybrid seeds to begin with. The offspring would be very different with odd characteristics. Some may be nice if you give them a chance to flower.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 4:25PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Kayenta,

Cross pollination can happen any time you open pollinate.

Susan is spot on with hybrids. My large African hybrids I saved seeds from are not blooming either. I have had them take 12 weeks to bloom. Always a treat to see what you can get.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 5:09PM
kayenta

New to forum...I hope this response gets seen by the people who answered my question...
Thanks to you both for responding. I'll wait to see what happens!

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 11:29AM
kayenta

I remember I have another question:
I live in Colo. at about 7500 feet in elevation. Very warm during summer. I bought a pink hydrangea at a garden store and it did well for about a month...but now the petals have been starting to turn a dull yellow-green and it's getting worse.
I know the hydrangea only likes a bit of sun in the a.m; too much and it wilts. It's in a big pot so I can bring it in in winter.
Any ideas on what it need to be pink and healthy again? I have NOT fertilized it yet.

Thanks!!

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 11:36AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

How much water is it getting? A couple of mine started to do that after weeks of rain. A picture would help a lot. A lot of very knowledgeable people on here that will know when they see it.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 2:43PM
kayenta

Thank you, I took a pic but I can't upload it, for some reason. I'll try again at some point.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™