Help! my fountain is leaking.

diane66(z6 Mid Tenn.)August 20, 2007

I got a resin water fountain at a yard sale & didn't check it...cause I just love the look of it. It's a huge one. The basin is 23"Dia X 18.75"H A Beckett. A grecian goddess that has water coming out of a shell in her hand unto the huge basin. I don't know where it's leaking, I don't see any cracks. First of all...I'm not very crafty..I know I'm supposed to use a sealant...but what kind, how much, I'll take a brand name..ha! Is there a spray can of this stuff. I e-mailed Beckett & all they said was use a sealant like sealing windows & doors..duh!! I don't have a clue to which kind. I'm sorry I sound so duh..Any help for me???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magdaloonie(6B-7A Magdalena, NM)

Silicone. Comes in a squeeze tube at the hardware store. Put some on every connection between the tubing and some other part. Clean-up when still gooey is a damp paper towel. Good luck.
Vanessa

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 2:55PM
diane66(z6 Mid Tenn.)

how do I put a picture on a post? It's only the basin(tub) that's leaking..I would have to cover the whole thing in silicone? The tubing seems to be fine. Thanks alot for your reply.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 4:29PM
magdaloonie(6B-7A Magdalena, NM)

Oh no, not the whole thing. If the basin is leaking rather than some point where the tubing passes through the fountain, there must be a crack which you'll have to find. That's trickier. There are a couple other reasons you could be losing water, too. A picture might really help.

A lot of members here use photobucket which is nicely set up for posting pictures. Do a search on this forum and you'll find better instructions than I could give you. It's free, BTW.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 6:10PM
maryo_nh(z5 SouthernNH)

Diane, I have two bird baths that are leaking from cracks. It must be cracks because the water 'evaporates' too fast! I can fix them for a summer or so at a time with caulking from the hardware store. Silicone is one kind, but there are other kinds, so read the labels to find the one that works for the polyresin. I rub the caulking down into where I think the crack is, with plastic gloves on, because it's hard to get off your hands. Then let it dry for a few days. My birdbaths are concrete, and the concrete fix stuff is latexy and peels loose after being in the hot sun for weeks. So I do it over in fall or spring. I hope it stickes better on your resin!

:) Mary

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 9:38AM
diane66(z6 Mid Tenn.)

Thanks so much for your help. I have a thought..this basin is so large..I wonder if I could use a liner in it..instead of sealing it. What are your thoughts on that???

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 9:46AM
watershaper

Liner is a possibility, it would eliminate the chances of a crack. Without a picture I can't be sure, but a lot of times its just splash and evaporation. Keep looking for cracks, but if you can't find any or when the liner is in and it still 'leaks' its probably just normal water loss. Most resin fountains aren't big enough to catch all the splash. A rough rule of thumb is for the basin to be twice as wide as the fall is tall. Good Luck.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
Dividing lotus this weekend
I have a Carolina Queen lotus that has to be divided...
frankielynnsie
How to Make THE Floating Island
Floating Islands are very expspensive. The size I wanted...
goodkarma_
hardy plants for cool spring weather
Which floating oxygenator type plants live in 50 degree...
oliveoyl3
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Sponsored Products
I-Fountain Mini with Ball
SerenityHealth
Fountaine Oil Rubbed Bronze One Light Wall Sconce with White Shade
$72.00 | Bellacor
Grand Palais Venetian Bronze Gold Fifteen-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Adagio Cascade Springs Fountain w/ Rajah Natural Slate in Stainless Steel Finish
SerenityHealth
Adagio Cottonwood Falls Fountain w/ Rajah Featherstone in Stainless Steel Finish
SerenityHealth
Barcelona Natural Iron Four-Light Bath Fixture
$147.50 | Bellacor
Adagio Cottonwood Falls Fountain w/ Black Featherstone in Stainless Steel Finish
SerenityHealth
Timberline Old Bronze Five-Light Chandelier
$299.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™