Cytisus Broom (burkwoodii / lilac time) wilting !

hemashree(9)May 4, 2010

Hi,

Here is my question.

I have planted sweet broom in a container.

I guess it is Cytisus Burkwoodi or Cytisus Lilac time.

I got them from a sale, the seller had no idea what cultivar it was. Just she mentioned it was a 'Sweet Broom'.

The problem is : the soil had some worms (later I found out they are centipedes). fine ........

so, i had to remove the plant two times after i planted it, to check the root system. the roots look healthy and no damage. I also dead headed the bloomed flowers.

Now that it is over a week, the leaves have started to wilt, and the flowers look drying up.

could it be because of coldness? (I live in San Jose, California) or high moisture in soil.???

I did try to clean the crowded roots and give some air circulation. Do I need to water it daily, till it gets back ??? . Do I have to fertilize ???

what else needs to be done to make it survive ???

Thanks in Advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Brooms are sensitive to root disturbance. Keep it moist, see if it sends out new leaves later.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 12:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

so, i had to remove the plant two times after i planted it, to check the root system. the roots look healthy and no damage. I also dead headed the bloomed flowers.

"Having" to check on roots and "deadheading" fls for whatever reason is the problem here. Neither is necessary. Hopefully it will recover if left undisturbed and kept sufficiently moist but not soaking. And the container is sufficiently large.

Dan

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™