What to mix between red chokeberries in an informal hedge?

mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)May 4, 2011

I have a 30 foot long area in the side lawn about 6 feet in from the sidewalk where I would like to plant a row of shrubs. I picked up three Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima', they are 2 feet tall now. I imagine them 5-6 feet tall with bare legs, drooping over a smaller shrubs planted in between. It will be informal. The area is dry sandy soil with full sun in the side of our corner lot. The plantings will not be near the corner intersection, so no concern with traffic visability. Will use hose for irrigation. Carboard with wood chip mulch around shrubs. Will keep strip of lawn between the shrubs and sidewalk as there are gas/electric lines buried about 2 feet in from the sidewalk.

So, a drought tolerant shrub that gets maybe 3x3 that will complement the taller chokeberries...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marymd7

There are some shorter asian and hybrid varieties of winter hazel that might work in that situation.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 7:47AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

How about Juniperus procumbens 'Nana' on a high graft? I'd also add at least a third element as well since it's 30 feet long.
tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Hang 'em High

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 7:59PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Keep in mind that the Aronias will sucker and thicken up in a few years. But 3 Aronias in a 30 foot section is not much. You have room for a great many other shrubs. I'd group all three togther, then add other shrubs. You don't want the area to look polka dotted especially since it appears you're trying to keep the planting very narrow with only one layer to it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:59AM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have rethought the hedge idea, and I think instead I am going to create some beds using some nearby trees to use two of the chokecherries, and I placed one towards the back of a mixed shrub/perennial bed that had a bit if a gap in it. Can't wait to see these grow!

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™