Japanese holly renewal pruning?

sujiwan_gwMay 1, 2010

I am clearing all the junk out of my long hedges--finally. Hacking away at the japanese honeysuckle and bittersweet vines that are such pests in my yard, I pulled all the growth off a large Japanese holly. It looks "tonsorial" as in the top is totally denuded of leaves from being shaded and there are only leaves where it wasn't covered. Plus, I discovered a monster of a hole (maybe woodchuck) hidden directly beneath it.

I am going to be drastically pruning the overgrown forsythia next to it, thinning it out and removing the same pestiferous honeysuckle. What can I do for this holly? I'm going to have to get access to the area beneath it to fill up that hole and I'd like to see leaves re-cover the nude areas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

When shaded shrubs are released from suppression they fill back in on their own. Specific response varies with kind and condition. Maybe just prune yours back in those places where it is likely to blow around or fall over.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 2:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Japanese hollies respond beautifully to rejuvenation pruning. This 'procedure' involves cutting your plants all the way back to 6 inch stumps (or even less). Do it neatly and cleanly...and don't fertilize . Your plants will reward you with abundant new growth the first growing season.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™