not gonna do it!

barbaraparmJuly 13, 2014

I began in April of this year starting seeds of many varieties! I did everything right, gave them all the TLC that I had.
After putting them in the ground they were hit by rabbits, chipmunks, insects, u name it!
Needless to say, I was heartbroken. I have 1 lousy zinnia to show for ALL my hard work!
I am not one to give up! I will devise some sort of protective barrier next season to cover & protect my seedlings. Whether it be chicken wire, mess screen, cones, I WILL PROTECT THEM!!!!!!
I'M ON A MISSION!
Any comments or ideas welcomed! ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdambr(7b)

I am winter sowing next year, this is my first year sowing from seeds, so I have not tried it yet. Seems to solve all the problems you had. Lots of info here and all over the web. There is a forum here all about it. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:46PM
Bloomin_Onion(2/3)

Hi there, this year I had my first garden too. I finally found myself in a place in life where I had a place with a small area to garden in. We live in southern Canada, and people here consider the nice weather precious. Frost comes around October, and by December it's -40*F. The cold lasts until April, and mid may is generally considered the "safe mark" to plant outside. I decided I was going to go gung-ho with my veggie plants, considering I only have a 16'X5' space to garden in.

First, my husband and I started from seed. Since people want the domestic farming lifestyle but have to rush to pull it off, nurseries make a killing for about 6 weeks here, and veggie plants are expensive. So I really did this to save some money, rather than it was just me being overambitious. Too many times even in the southern US where I'm from, had I seen my late father try to start plants in those little "seed starter kits"... you know, you shove a seed in a pellet of soil and put it by the window and pray enough sprout and live long enough to get them in the ground? Well I decided I could do better. So I literally built a small greenhouse in my living room with a hot glue gun, screws, an electric screwdriver, and this lightweight wood from slats under a decommissioned bed set. Then I did some googling and found a hydroponics store in town, and went and got some grow lights. I screwed eyelets in the wood and hung the lights over the plants, and then had a "seed planting party" with my husband. He was looking at me like O_o... very apprehensive. Little did either of us know, EVERY SEED would take off, and grow to where we only lost a few due to some unintended breakage during transplanting, kids tossed a ball in the greenhouse and broke a tomato plant in half, etc. lol

By the time mid may came, (we call the date may-long-weekend... it's actually "Victoria Day" so it's a long holiday and the generally agreed upon marker for planting outside) I was desperate to get the plants outside as they had outgrown the greenhouse. I planted them outside, and just like you, the next day I had lost TWO tomato babies! I was devastated! These plants were cared for and took up a precious piece of 2X3 real estate in my living room for almost two months, and now overnight they were gone! The next day, THREE tomato plants- Gone! And some of my zucchini leaves. That was IT! At this rate I'd lose them all in a week! I narrowed down the culprits by trying various types of deterrents. Luckily, since we started from seed, I had a few extras to replace the lost ones, but not many. First, I potted some of the new ones. That worked, so I thought maybe rabbits. The pots weren't big enough to house them all season, so I wrapped two in the ground in Chicken Wire. The next day, two were Gone... right inside the chicken wire! No chewed bits, nothing. So at that point, I said it's something small, and put out Big Rat sized Snap Traps and baited them with apple bits. I placed the traps around the perimeter of the garden.

That night, hubby and I heard a SNAP! Come out to see the biggest VOLE I'd ever seen! We caught 6 more in the following two weeks in the same way. No more plant problems! Now we're near harvest time. I know just how you feel - here are some pictures, and good luck next year!!

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:20AM
sdambr(7b)

Bloomin_Onion, We seem to have the same start. Desperate for spring after a long winter, I decided to start a garden. I bought over a dozen packs of seeds, spent a week planning, bought one of those small plastic greenhouses with the shelves and planting I went. OOOooooo too many tomato plants (about 200) and peppers (about 100), and lots of herbs. Who knew everything would germinate. Two months later found them all homes :o) About 2 weeks of nervous nights (sleepless checking temps) while hardening off! Now starting to harvest some veggies. I am officially an addict. Next year 30'x8', more if I can sweet talk DH.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 6:22PM
valal111(6a)

You are all inspiring to me :)
I got heavily into gardening again, plotting out a backyard project that entails pulling up grass and planting a wide variety of perennials. Ordered some SMALL items on line, but they will grow, and I am semi-patient, but I have also bought some plants and this year read about winter sowing. I am psyched and want to try it....I have tried planting seeds in the past, but they seem spindly and never seem to do well. I SHOULD say that my last attempt at perennial seeds was OK, tho, I did end up with a few columbine, euchenecia that have returned for the past 3 years. However it's a far cry from the amount of seeds I planted and what survived these past few years is mighty disappointing. This year I have renewed enthusiasm and am semi-retired so I have more time for gardening and planning and watering and keeping up with the garden! Would love to follow you all how you make out during this coming winter/seed season!

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 3:31PM
mori1(5b/6a)

Bloomin onion I like what built, you wouldn't happened to draw a plan or drawings or measurements by chance.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Help with germination!
Hello all! I have a question! I started some of my...
countryladies14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™