How can I propogate Coreopsis flower?

artisticcheese(7)July 15, 2013

Hello,

I bought Coreopsis "Illico" variety in Lowes and I really like the flower but I can not find it in Lowes anymore. Not only that I can not find any references to this type of flower on any US websites, there are some references on UK and for CZ (Czech I assume) websites. So I'm left only with option to try to get seeds out of current flower and try to grow it. What do I need to do to make it happen? I have dried out whatever left of flowers and i put it container, covered it with soil and watering it daily. It has been 5 days now and I can not see anything coming out of it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Greg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I can't tell for certain if this one is c. grandiflora , or c. tinctoria but the germination suggestion is the same for both....
Surface sow 70F or barely cover as some light may be beneficial to germination. Germination in approx. 7-14 days.

I don't know this particular coreopsis to be able to tell you if it comes true from seed, or even if it sets viable seed. Some of the named varieties coreopsis do not.

Here is a link that might be useful: coreopsis grandiflora ripe seed photo Seed Site

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:07PM
artisticcheese(7)

I beleive it's grandiflora variety. You can see pictures of the tag here. So I just take dried out flowers and drop it on top of soil I set up at home in cup and water it and cover with plastic wrap, sit next to window and possibly it will work?

Thanks,

This post was edited by artisticcheese on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 9:42

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:09AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

A flower has lots of seeds in it. Let the flower dry on the plant, then rub the seeds out. I think the best way to propagate this plant would be by dividing in half. That's if it's big enough. You might have to plant it and wait a year.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 4:34PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

A flower has lots of seeds in it. Let the flower dry on the plant, then rub the seeds out. I think the best way to propagate this plant would be by dividing in half. That's if it's big enough. You might have to plant it and wait a year.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™