yellow flag iris seed pods

puddinnnJuly 11, 2013

My yellow flag iris' have a seed pod and I'm wondering do I remove them while they are green and how do I plant them..how long does it take for them to flower?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

First, this is considered an invasive species in several states, mine included. I don't know how many more may have been added in recent years but "Iris pseudacorus is reported as invasive in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and West Virginia (Forest Health Staff 2006)."

You would want to look at your own states invasive species lists and see if there are restrictions - and truthfully, there are many more pretty yellow iris that are not invasive that you could enjoy growing.

As for the seed pod, it would be ripe when it begins to brown and split open at its 'seam'. This iris, like many, does best with a warm moist, cold moist, cool moist (and in that order) sequence. Part of the problem with them is they self sow as one means of increasing, seeds dropping in late summer to Fall to germinate the following spring. That means sow in Fall, or sow at 68F for 4 weeks, move to 39F for 6 weeks, then move to approx. 55F for germination They should flower in their third year.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
Problem diagnosis - Please Help!!
I am having an issue where my seedling's leaves are...
Andy Keels
Potting up brassicas
I have broccoli and cabbage sown in small peat pot...
Peter (6b SE NY)
When to uncover seedlings?
I've successfully started seeds for years by bottom...
oldbuck
Question about growing from seed in small greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
How do my seedlings look to you?
Hi everyone, I have been a member for awhile and have...
lexiegurl09
Sponsored Products
Forever Green Art Golden Florals
Beyond Stores
Worthy Leather Bumper Chaise - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Twin Two-Piece Comforter Set - YELLOW/PINK (TWIN)
$160.00 | Horchow
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Senses Shag Yellow 7 ft. 9
Home Depot
Vashon 3-Piece Quilt Set-Yellow
Overstock.com
Butter Up Double Gourd Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™