Hard Cutting Everygreens/Shrubs

chefwongMay 2, 2013

For low lying evergreen, how much or how little can I Hard Cut it.
There are some spots that are getting quite tall. I've yet to walk into that area to see how thick the branches are, but how much of low lying evergreen can I hard cut. I hard cut the edges during the summer, which was great to stop growth, as the edges have remained straight with no overgrowth yet. We'll see how much blooms out this year.

I also have some large evergreens that are too tall. I did a mild shear and took off about 3-5 inches about 2 weeks back. Just enough that, there was about 1/2 inch of *green* on the tops.
However, post review, I'm looking at them, they definately need a heavy lopping on the top, I would say another 3-5 inches. How much HARD cut can I do. I'm afraid to cut off the top to the point where there is no *green* on the top, and then find out it will never grow back out...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Depends on what kinds they are, you need to give names of specific ones to get useful advice: at least come up with something on the level of "yew" or "holly", if not "Hicks yew" or "Japanese holly".

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:37PM
chefwong

Pics below

This post was edited by chefwong on Thu, May 2, 13 at 13:28

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:01PM
chefwong

A pic of the groundcover ones

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:07PM
chefwong

Large Evergreens

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:27PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

They look fine now, if you cut them back into brown and bare you might as well pull them out - conifers do not come back well from bare wood.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 12:27AM
chefwong

My issue is the height.

On the groundcover, I feel that on the high growth spots, if I don't cut them back, they will just get a thicker core this summer.....and I WON'T be able to cut it next year.

On the large ones....I was busy with renovations & newborns for the last 2 years so I did not cut them at all.. They are a easy 12" too high currently. I cut off about 4-5 inches 2 weeks ago. Left about 1/4" of green - rest is brown underneath in the tops. I'm not sure how much I can cut into the brown on these......if I want to LOP off another 12"...

I just googled conifer - the leaves do not look at all like conifers though, unless my googling is wrong...

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:41AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the first looks like a Juniper horizontalis ... i have no clue of the cultivar

the second also looks like a juniper.. but i wouldnt bet a nickle on that ID.. since i cant focus on the leaves .. platycladus???

there is a conifer forum... try there

of my 600 conifers.. there are only 3.. so badly planted.. they have ever needed pruning ... if you are needing to cut on your so often.. that speaks directly to the wrong plant in the wrong spot ...

if you do go to the conifer forum.. a pic of the whole site.. and a pic of the needles themselves will be important ...

again.. they are conifers.. which are also trees ... but they are not.. technically shrubs .. though i admit i used that term for decades .... and this use of common terms.. MIGHT BE why googling is failing you ...

ken

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Screen behind basketball goal
Hello. We just moved into a new house. I'd like to...
bcurrey
Shot hole disease- Can my laurels be saved?
I recently purchased a new home with Otto Luyken cherry...
hafamily5
Can I shorten a 10-15 yr old Nellie Stevens Holly?
Just wondering if Nellie Stevens can withstand having...
hafamily5
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Pura Vida Kingston Flat Weave Stripe Pattern Wool Handmade Rug Multicolor
$177.00 | Hayneedle
Kitchen Shelves Worktop Saver
$11.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting P4339-63 1Two-Light Chandelier With Faceted Glass Jewel Drops
Progress Lighting
Tiffany-style Frank Lloyd Wright Mission Ceiling Lamp
Overstock.com
Chrysanths Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Plaza Blue Lamontageā„¢ One-of-a-Kind Outdoor Rug
$795.00 | FRONTGATE
Landmark Lighting 60017-3 Trego 3-Light Semi Flush w/ Multi-Colored Stone in Dar
Beyond Stores
Nourison Area Rug: In Bloom Black 8' x 11'
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™