Bridal Wreath Spirea? Seed to Bloom?

dees(5 IN)May 26, 2008

I have searched to internet and can't find the answer. Does anyone know how long it takes for bridal wreath spirea grown from seed, to bloom? Thanks, for any help!

Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

A long time. Since it blooms on new growth and depending on how fast it germinates I'd say three years but you may need a microscope to see it bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 5:38PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

It's much quicker and easier to grow it from cuttings. They will bloom in their first year. Or have you already go the seed started?

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 5:59PM
dees(5 IN)

Well, 3 years doesn't sound bad..lol..I've read that some shrubs take 7 years..lol..... Flora, no I don't have seeds yet,but I am horrible at rooting cuttings, and I would like to have 4 or 5 to alternate with other flowering shrubs. I've read that they sucker, also, but I don't know anyone locally that has any. Thanks, for your response..You too, bullthistle.

Dee

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 7:52PM
goodhors(z5 MI)

You might get a little faster growth trying some stem rooting. Scratch the trailing branch, put dirt over it with a rock on top, see if some rooting takes place. Forsythia do this by themselves.

I would think you could get some small spireas fairly inexpensively, yet have some height, to get your hedge going. My spirea is 3yrs old, still only about 45" tall from a nice plant root with about a foot of branches. About $6. It has gained in height and added new branches, but still has a lot of growing and filling out to do, before I have the very flowing, graceful spirea look. Somehow I thought they were much faster growers, and I now have 3 years into this one with a way bigger start than seeds. It does bloom, has since purchase. Not great this year, but winter was harsh here. Other local spirea look very nice but are more protected in town.

From seed, way too long a wait for results for me. Unless you like the challenge? Local newspapers often do free ads, you could put in a free bush removal for spirea! Get yourself something with size to start. They do have huge roots, if there is any age to them. Time or labor, which will get you the bushes you desire?!?

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 11:47AM
dees(5 IN)

I have found a place that sells two yr. old frield grown shrubs, for a decnt price,,,Thank I will go that way...Thanks, everyone

Dee

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Edgeworthia chrysantha never fully blooms?
I planted my edgeworthia about 2 years ago. Last year...
chueh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™