Tree seed advice needed

margo_k(5)August 25, 2011

Hello all. A friend recently gave me several cones from her beautiful white fir trees. The cones are starting to turn a light brown and dry out and fall apart, and they are loaded with seeds. Id like to try growing a few of these next spring for my yard.

How do I know how many seeds to plant? Do I need to do some kind of germination testing on these seeds? I only need about 5 trees from these seeds but I think I'll end up with hundreds of seeds from these few cones.

Thank you.

Margo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Margo, no need to test. You can expect somewhere between 20 - 50% of the seeds you find will be viable and germinate - the number of sound seeds in a cone is low, better some years than others. Sow heavy, keep only the seedlings you want if you end up with more than you need.

Abies concolor: sow 4 - 8 weeks @ 39F, move to 70F for germination.

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 9:54AM
margo_k(5)

Thank you morz8. I will take your advice and sow heavily. Id rather have a lot of good seedlings to choose from and take the best rather than sow just a handful of seeds and end up with only a couple of seeds germinating.

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 10:01PM
gunboatbay

May I suggest you do a bit of research before planting your seeds. Most coniferous tree seeds need "stratification" before they will germinate. This can be accomplished easily at home by placing the seeds in a small plastic bag (so they won't dry out too much) and putting the bag in the refrigerator for a couple of months

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™